Board of Directors
The Nine Lives Foundation is a non-profit organization originally established by Dr. Monica (Thompson) Rudiger in 2004. The Board of Directors was established to run the shelter in 2005. While we only house cats at the Nine Lives Foundation, we are an organization that is concerned with the welfare of all animals.
We advocate for homeless cats in our community by:
- Actively seeking permanent loving homes for the cats in our care
- Providing lifelong care to those cats who for behavioral or medical reasons are unable to be re-homed
- Educating the public about responsible companion animal guardianship
- Assisting Bay Area
- We are currently caring for over 150 cats, including both permanent residents and adoptable cats.
Our vision for the future is that:
- Every cat in California is spayed/neutered and is cared for in a loving home by a responsible guardian
- People treat animals as the sentient beings they are, ensuring that they are neither exploited nor harmed
Our Board of Directors
Day to day shelter operations are managed by our paid staff, with assistance from our volunteers. All of our Board members are volunteers. The Board is responsible for the governance and financial well being of the organization, establishing high-level policies, and setting the direction for the organization.
We have elections once a year for the Officer positions (President, Vice President, Treasurer, and Secretary). The by-laws allow for a total of 15 Board members, and the existing members vote on those wishing to join the Board. A term is 2 years, with the option for a second term.
Our Board Meetings
Our Board meetings are held once every month. They run about 2 hours, though we are making improvements that will get us down to 1.5 hours.
Board Member Expectations
What we expect from Board members:
- Regular attendance at monthly Board meetings
- Make a reasonable effort to spend time at the shelter each month
- Participation on at least one committee
- Active and frequent participation in as many fundraising activities and special events as possible.
- The flexibility to deal with a constantly changing and growing organization
Applying To Become A Board Member
If you are interested in joining the Board of Directors, and are not currently a voting Board member of another animal welfare organization, please complete our application and send it along with your current resume to the shelter via email or mail, attention: Board President. You will be contacted to discuss the process, which includes interviewing with several Board members.
~~~ Thank you for your support of the Nine Lives Foundation. ~~~